This session, led by Wetlands International, UNEP-WCMC and the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development of Colombia, will highlight opportunities, challenges and recommendations related to breaking down barriers and scaling up the implementation of Nature based Solutions. We will focus the session on collaboration between the public sector and the private sector. Wetlands International and EcoShape will present their experience on Building with Nature and how this is used for scaling up Building with Nature in Asia.
Part 1: Breaking down the barriers for private sector involvement in NbS for adaptation:
- Dr Valerie Kapos is Head of the Climate Change & Biodiversity Programme of the UN Environment Programme World Conservation Monitoring Centre, and will provide an overview of private sector uptake of NbS for climate resilient infrastructure in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Ms Silvia Saldivar is representing Itaipu Binacional, a company created in 1974 with a mandate from Brazil and Paraguay to build and operate the Itaipu hydroelectric plant; she will tell us more about environmental management and NbS for Itaipu Binacional.
Part 2: Public-private sector collaboration for the effective implementation of NbS around Latin America
- Ms Eliana Hernandez and Mr Luis Guerra are both from the Climate Change and Risk Management Directorate, of the Ministry of Environment of Colombia. They will talk about public-private partnerships for effective NbS implementation in Latin America, focused on Water Funds, and will highlight for us a new project on NbS in Colombia.
Part 3: Breaking through the barriers for Building with Nature in Asia
Our final two speakers today will take us through how the Building with Nature initiative in Asia has been breaking down barriers and accelerating adaptation.
- Dr Ritesh Kumar, Director of Wetlands International India, will talk about how the initiative work with Wetlands International’s strategy,
- Mr Fokko van der Goot, Program Manager at EcoShape, will discuss barriers and enablers for scaling up NbS with private sector engagement.
Part 4: Panel discussion and Q&A
The moderator will direct expert and audience questions to the speakers/panelists, focused on solutions/actions that have helped to overcome key barriers to cross-sector collaboration on NbS.